Bedford Public Library Policy
Some Bedford Public Library System (BPLS) libraries have space available for exhibits or for the exhibition of artwork. That location may contact organizations, individuals or artists for displays. Likewise, interested organizations, individuals, or artists may contact the library manager where they wish an exhibition to be displayed.
BPLS reserves the right to reject any or all items presented for display. The materials of the exhibits must meet what is generally known as a “standard acceptable to the community.” Displayed items may not be acceptable if they depict extreme violence, sex, or if they are racially, religiously, ethically, or sexually biased or negative in content. Standards for display items are stricter than standards for library books and other documents because everyone, including children, sees display items. Standards are stricter than they are for a museum because art in libraries is a secondary function, not the library’s cultural responsibility.
BPLS cannot assume any responsibility for damaged or lost articles. The organization, individual, or artist responsible for the exhibit should arrange insurance coverage with an outside insurance company if so desired
- To provide educational, cultural, informative, and attractive exhibits for public view
- To provide for effective distribution of information relevant to the library and the community
- For exhibitions of artwork, artists may be asked to submit two samples of their work, either slides or the work itself, to a selection jury.
- A committee designated by the library manager will evaluate the exhibit and give final judgment on size constraints and appropriateness for a library setting.
- Artists are permitted to post their business card and prices on the works so that interested buyers may contact them directly.
- Artists and exhibitors are required to hang/arrange their own works after consulting with the library manager as to the most appropriate method to use. Individual locations may reserve the right to arrange and/or change the arrangement of the exhibit.
- Special arrangements must be made for group shows.
- Exhibits are generally accepted for one month.
- The meeting room can be scheduled for the purpose of holding an exhibit related reception at the time the exhibit is scheduled.